Your kitchen cabinets take up a lot of real estate in your kitchen, so if...
Improving Your Water Quality — What you need to know about home water filtration systems?
By Mike Holmes
Friday, June 25th, 2021 @ 8:25am
Water is an essential part of our everyday life. I’ve talked about this before and I’ll talk about it again because this is an important topic that homeowners should be aware of. Not only do we use water for consumption, drinking and cooking, but also for everyday household tasks such as washing dishes, washing your clothes, and so much more.
That is why it is so important to understand what is in your water and take the right steps to improve your water quality. A bad smell may be pretty indicative that there is something wrong, but it is not always easy to tell what contaminants exist unless you do a proper water test. It can also help you figure out whether you have hard water, which untreated may cause build-up in your appliances and make them less efficient.
Take it from me, I had a very high level of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), which is the concentration of organic and inorganic dissolved solids. I had hard water too. I felt it on my skin and had started to notice the scale build-up on my shower head and in my appliances too. Eventually, I had to replace my water heater which was not cheap, so this is something that I recommend you pay attention to, early on.
In order to fix these problems and improve the quality of water flowing through my house, I had a new water filtration system installed in my home thanks to the professionals at Kinetico.
How Does a Home Water Filtration System Work?
Different filtration systems work in different ways based on what their purpose is. Is it meant to soften your water? Is it meant to filter out contaminants such as iron or lead?
Another factor to consider is where your source is coming from. Are you relying on a municipal system to supply your water or a private well? That may help you determine if you need more specific systems to help treat the water in your home.
For me, because I rely on well water, a whole home water filtration system was a great solution to ensure that every drop flowing through my home was clean and crisp. I also had a reverse osmosis system (RO) installed because I wanted to reduce any contaminants that might be in my water and because I love the taste of RO water.
- I recommend that you call the water professionals at Kinetico to get your water tested and have them recommend the right system that works for your needs.
Here is a closer look at the systems I had installed at my house.
#1 – Water Softener
A water softening system is a great way to reduce the hardness of your water. The Kinetico water softener unit has a bed of resin that uses an ion exchange process to remove calcium and magnesium in your water, in turn, softening it. This filtration system is available around the clock, when you need it, to provide you with abundant clean, soft water on demand.
One of the great features of this system is that the system basically maintains itself. When the resin bed is full of hardness ions, the system draws a brine solution from the salt storage tank. This brine solution cleans the resin bed, making it ready to continue softening the water. . All I have to do is add water softener salt once in a while.
Here are other benefits I love about the system installed at my house:
- Multiple Tank Systems – With up to four available tanks you can combine water softening and dechlorination in a single unit to save money and space. It also means you will always have a tank providing soft, clean water, even when the system is cleaning itself.
- On-Demand Regeneration – The system only regenerates when necessary, after a set amount of water has been softened and used. Regeneration only happens when necessary, not at a predetermined time.
- Non-Electric – My softener is powered by the energy of moving water, not electricity. So there are no timers or computers to set, adjust, repair or replace.
- Generous Flow Rates – This system is designed for homes with larger plumbing and high consumption in mind. It allows you to have a generous flow rate throughout your house without compromising on softness.
#2 – Drinking Water Filtration System
At my house, I have the K5 Drinking Station installed and let me tell you this was one of the best decisions I made. As I mentioned I am a huge fan of reverse osmosis water, to me, it just tastes better.
Using reverse osmosis technology, the filtration system’s membrane separates the water from the contaminants and flushes them to drain. This ensures that I get clean and refreshing water every time I turn on the tap.
Some of the great features of this system include:
- QuickFlo® Technology – This technology allows the K5 to deliver a constant strong, steady stream of high-quality water. Here is a fact I learned when I had this system installed, the K5 produces more water faster than any other comparable system so you don’t have to ration your supply —how great is that?
- High Level of Contaminant Removal – This system provides a 99% reduction rate for many contaminants.
- Customizable Multi-Stage Filtration – Every home has different needs based on what contaminants exist in your source water. With this system, you are able to customize the filters according to the specific water challenges you face in your home. Plus, it is easy to install and replace the filters so you don’t need to wait for someone to come in and do it for you.
- EverClean® Rinse – This feature allows the K5 system to use high-quality water to self-clean. This allows the system to continuously work to produce better quality water for you while extending the membrane’s life.
#3 – Leak Detection Systems
Another great addition to my new filtration system is the leak detection system. The Kinetico Leak Detection System is comprised of a water shutoff valve, leak sensors, and a hub that work together to stop a leak in your home before it becomes a problem.
In conjunction with the monitoring app, I can be alerted of a leak within seconds and can even shut off the water in my home from anywhere at any time. I love that because now I don’t have to worry about a potential leak or even flooding, while I’m on the road filming.